The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner of Kenya has warned Kenyans to be vigilant about the use of their data amid scrambles to register their identity with Worldcoin, a blockchain-based digital ID company.
- The office noted that it is aware that Worldcoin is processing sensitive personal data in a manner that requires proper safeguards.
- It added that it is currently assessing the company to determine its compliance with Kenya’s Data Protection Act. It advised that Kenyans be informed appropriately on how Worldcoin would use their data before signing up.
- The warning comes amidst the rush by Kenyans to get scanned by a Worldcoin orb and registered on its network. Video footage outside a store in Kenya shows long queues of interested persons looking to register and receive the 25 WLD — Worldcoin’s token — which is the reward for signing up on the platform.
Of note: 25 WLD is worth $56 (7,974 Kenyan Shilling at the time of writing).
- The African regional growth manager for Worldcoin’s parent company — Tools for Humanity —shared in a social media post that the Worldcoin app is currently the most downloaded in Kenya.
Kenya’s data commissioner, Immaculate Kassait, commented:
“It is the responsibility of data controllers to ensure that personal data is processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act. Failure to do so not only puts individuals’ privacy at risk but also exposes an organization to legal and reputational consequences.”
- The statement comes as Worldcoin has been ramping up its operations in Kenya.
- Worldcoin went live with its global app earlier this week and announced that it was expanding access to its orbs across 35 cities, Kampala and Nairobi inclusive.
- This is despite controversies surrounding users’ privacy and allegations that Worldcoin could be selling their details to third parties.
- Kenya has a long history of cryptocurrency schemes, both legitimate and fraudulent. A Mariblock exclusive revealed the details of an elaborate Bitcoin mining fraudulent venture that ripped Kenyans of several thousand shillings.