Cardano-based telecommunications network provider, World Mobile, has partnered with Chinese blockchain ecosystem builder, Conflux to expand their respective markets into Asia and Africa.
- As seen in a press release dated July 20, WMT, World Mobile’s native digital token will now exist on both the Conflux and the Cardano blockchains.
- Bridging both blockchains ensures greater interoperability between both companies. The Conflux network would also be integrated into World Mobile’s layer 2 chain, AyA.
Be smart: AyA performs computation, data settlement, and other competencies that are required to operate a novel global telecommunication network and provides those results to L1 systems.
- In addition, World Mobile and Conflux will leverage each other’s presence in the African and Asian markets respectively to drive user adoption and further market penetration.
- As a result, Conflux will be seeking to use World Mobile’s established presence in Tanzania and its expansion into other African countries to enter the African market.
- Conflux’s blockchain-based SIM card development will also be a key part of the collaboration which could see the SIM cards integrated into World Mobile’s network.
- Zachary Vann, World Mobile’s Head of Token said:
“We are excited to work with Conflux to build a more connected and inclusive future. This partnership will accelerate our market expansion in Asia and to provide connectivity globally. The Conflux network’s...blockchain-based sim cards bring many opportunities to our mobile network and our AyA chain. This is our most significant partnership to expand our network and sharing economy into the Asian markets and beyond.”
- YuanJie Zhang, Co-Founder of Conflux, said of the partnership:
“Conflux Network takes its mission to push the frontier of Web3 adoption at a low cost, with fast speed and decentralized security very seriously. One important strategy is to promote collaboration with telecommunication service providers all over the world. World Mobile is the next significant partner Conflux brings on board after China Telecom.”
Why it matters
- World Mobile Group, a blockchain-based mobile network company using decentralized wireless technology (deWi) to provide internet access to the unconnected in Africa recently launched its commercial network in Tanzania.
- In addition, it also announced the completion of field tests in Kenya, Mozambique and Nigeria last month as part of its expansion plan to other African countries.
- World Mobile’s network is built on the Cardano blockchain. In a Twitter space back in March, the group’s CEO, Micky Watson, stated that the company was not leaving the Cardano blockchain. Instead, it was, at the time, developing a layer-2 sidechain in partnership with Cosmos blockchain ecosystem builder.
- It is unclear if World Mobile’s partnership with Conflux impacts its earlier plans to build a sidechain with Cosmos.